Crossing the U.S. in winter - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2015, 11:19 PM   #41

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenrob View Post
Thanks for the info on brakes. I think my Burro is around 1,000 pounds - I plan to get it weighed at my local recycling center to be sure. I'll start another thread asking other Burro owners about brakes. At this point since I had all the remaining brake hardware removed, it would be like starting over. So far I've taken it on two trips, one about four hours and the other ten hours, both with some significant hills and hairpin turns, and I had no problem braking with just the car. But I haven't driven on snowy or icy roads... and I sure won't go out of my way to do that!
Go to this list on this site to get a rough idea of the weight of your trailer. There's one Burro listed as under 1000 lbs. That's anomaly.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
Old 10-30-2015, 11:44 AM   #42

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have made several winter trips to the SE USA from Northern Wisconsin . Road conditions were never an issue in the northern states but were in the South . Driving in Tenn. , Georgia. and South Caroline when it snows was a surreal experience. There were days during our March trip that it was warmer in Northern Wisconsin than in Georgia or northern Florida. We are staying home this winter and saving our money for a long summer trip.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:53 PM   #43

Name: Dennis
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have made several winter trips to the SE USA from Northern Wisconsin . Road conditions were never an issue in the northern states but were in the South . Driving in Tenn. , Georgia. and South Caroline when it snows was a surreal experience. There were days during our March trip that it was warmer in Northern Wisconsin than in Georgia or northern Florida. We are staying home this winter and saving our money for a long summer trip.
We've experienced the same thing. Snow tends to be more slippery in the warmer southern states, and some Southern drivers don't seem to understand the need to slow down on the slick stuff.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:13 PM   #44

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
...I find by cutting a piece of 2x6 or 8 about 8" long or to fit in between the chains then lay the chains out carefully then back up onto the boards and stop....
Brilliant!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:48 AM   #45

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Brake Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Hi Bob, I wrote to the support technician to the site "http://www.brakebuddy.com/Towing-Laws"
and look at the answer:

=================================
RE: Brakebuddy feedback
Brake Buddy (brakebuddy@hopkinsmfg.com)
brakebuddy@hopkinsmfg.com

Gilles,

Unfortunately yes that is the last time that site was updated. They are currently working on a new website and once it launches it will have the up to date laws on it. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks,
Josh Brothers | Tech Support
Hopkins Manufacturing Corporation | 428 Peyton Street, Emporia, KS 66801
P: 800-835-0129 Ext. 8472 | Email: josh.brothers@hopkinsmfg.com

==============================
we tow a 1996 Suzuki X90 behind the MH it weighs 2400#'s before we added the tow equipment which added another 100#'s so that is a total of 2500#'s our regs say anything over 1600#'s requires brakes. We found a good used on in CL, bought it and never looked back until we arrived in Elkhart IN where it decided not to hold air any more which means it will not work. My wife contacted Brake Buddy and they said for us to send it to them and they will fix it for us and that one else in the RV industry will do it. They were right no one else would touch it. ours was around 10 years old so off it went with a return address to Ferndale mailing address. In the Meantime my wife refused to drive without another and low and behold we picked one up for dirt cheap brand new for about $800 in Canada this would be equal to $12-$1400. and we were back in Business. About 2 weeks went by and Brake Buddy contacted us that it was on it's way to Ferndale cost to us was $45.00 for repairs plus they upgraded it to 2015 standards and they did not charge us for this, we had to pay the shipping to and return total worked out to around $200. or so dollars. We got home we put it in CL and sold it within a week.
I think there are only 2-3 states let you not have brakes on your tow'd and if you get pulled over this is one of the items they check first.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:54 AM   #46

Registry
Quote:
make sure you have chains for your tow vehicle as it is law to carry them, learn how to install them so your ready in case you have to use them.
I find by cutting a piece of 2x6 or 8 about 8" long or to fit in between the chains then lay the chains out carefully then back up onto the boards and stop. Get out and install the chains also should have some short bungees to hold chains tight to the rim so not sloppy and bouncing around, soon as out of the snow remove them, will last longer that way. Bungees maybe 3 to start with as one usually loses 1 now and again.
I envy you going from cold to warmth.
A number of years ago tire chains changed. You don't drive onto them you don't jack up the wheel to put them on. You all without crawling around on the ground. It's takes less than 5 minutes to have both tires on an axle chained.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:05 AM   #47

British Columbia
Paul O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Brilliant!
What this does it makes it much easier to get the chains up and over the wheel and into a locked position. Used to make our rubbers out of Old inner tube and cut a piece of old chain and stick them on as hooks worked every time to keep the chains tight and up against the rim.
Stude
Old 10-31-2015, 02:13 AM   #48

British Columbia
Byron I got your message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
A number of years ago tire chains changed. You don't drive onto them you don't jack up the wheel to put them on. You all without crawling around on the ground. It's takes less than 5 minutes to have both tires on an axle chained.
Byron I'm not a spring chicken like you must be and I hate putting chains on at any time. I will even ask my wife to do it but she still insists that I do this job. This is how I do it and I refuse to use Cable Chains I like real good old style chain on my radials, they are 10 ply on the MH, on the Ford Escape they are 6 ply and both can take the beating, I only use them when on snow, take them off other wise. No use wearing them out. I keep them in a compartment in case we get pulled over in the winter months so I do not get fined for not having them.
I have really slowed down the past 3 years and both knees are shot, fight sciatica all the time, one takes chances on new knees so try and not do it and if I do not have to get down on the ground I don't. Makes my wife mad when I turn the rig around and go where there is not snow and I can just relax and watch the boats go by.
Stude
Old 10-31-2015, 04:31 AM   #49

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
stay as far south as you can and have a very flexible schedule. several years ago i was holed up in a roadside campground for 3 nights waiting for the bridge over the big muddy to thaw from an unusual sleet storm on the 10 in la. i stayed warm and dry as i looked at the big rigs lined up along the side of the freeway waiting for the thaw.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:12 AM   #50

Name: Wendy
Trailer: Burro 13 ft, 1984
Massachusetts
I'll check YouTube for putting on chains. I like the visuals :-)
wenrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:21 AM   #51

Registry
Quote:
Byron I'm not a spring chicken like you must be and I hate putting chains on at any time. I will even ask my wife to do it but she still insists that I do this job. This is how I do it and I refuse to use Cable Chains I like real good old style chain on my radials, they are 10 ply on the MH, on the Ford Escape they are 6 ply and both can take the beating, I only use them when on snow, take them off other wise. No use wearing them out. I keep them in a compartment in case we get pulled over in the winter months so I do not get fined for not having them.
I have really slowed down the past 3 years and both knees are shot, fight sciatica all the time, one takes chances on new knees so try and not do it and if I do not have to get down on the ground I don't. Makes my wife mad when I turn the rig around and go where there is not snow and I can just relax and watch the boats go by.
Stude

Stude.
It looks like the "old fashion" chains are still sold. Take a look at videos on this page. You'll see there's newer type of chain that goes on easier. I've had mine for over 10 years and never used them. Oregon law requires you to carry chains when in snow country during winter months.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:25 AM   #52

Name: Wendy
Trailer: Burro 13 ft, 1984
Massachusetts
Wow Byron, there are lot of different kinds. Which do you have?
wenrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:30 AM   #53

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Again, I'm from AZ, so what do I know... but I don't understand why we're talking about carrying chains in order to pull a trailer across the southern tier of states in winter.

Let's say you hit snow, or worse, ice. You put on chains and keep going. Unless you put them on the trailer, too (can't imagine what that would do to a fiberglass trailer)... what's going to happen when you hit the brakes? Won't the trailer have a tendency to want to pass the tug?

I do actually have experience in winter driving conditions. I lived for a number of years in a high altitude town and my daily commute involved 20 miles of twisty mountain grades that were frequently snow covered. I have used chains. I loved my Subaru. But not with a travel trailer.

I do know there are some who like to use their trailers in winter conditions. I know some live where snow remains on the roads for months at a time and may have to do a bit of winter towing just to get out of Dodge. Y'all can do what you need to do. But I think the OP can get to CA without chaining up, and I think it would be better that way.

Storms can happen, both on the way out of the northeast, and while traveling west even in the southern states. When they come, you follow the forecasts, find a nice campground, plug in the power, turn on the furnace, and wait for the roads to clear. My mother has made numerous winter cross-country trips in her motorhome without ever having to carry chains. On the way home last February, she did have to stop over in SC for a couple of days to let an ice storm pass through.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:42 AM   #54

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Oregon law requires you to carry chains when in snow country during winter months.
That's not exactly what it says:

Oregon's chain law applies to all highways throughout the state. When you drive in winter conditions, you may see signs telling you to carry chains or traction tires and when you are required to use them. In some areas, lighted message signs also will advise you about chaining up. Traction tires may be used in place of chains on vehicles rated at 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight or less and that are not towing or being towed.