Briway Tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #1

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Briway Tires

I'm looking for new tires and in my search have found Briway brand tires on the internet. They are from China like all the others, and today is the first day I've haerd of them. I'm wondering if anyone has some personal experience with Briway .
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Is this the tire you are looking at:
Briwaytire

FWIW: If you travel more than a few miles from home, realize that there will be no warranty service available for a new to the market, off brand tire.

It would have to be very, very, inviting $$$ wise to get me to steer away from a known brand.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:47 PM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
We have a 2 month old Scamp 13 and it came with Briway Steel Belted Radials size ST175/80 R13. We only have about 1,400 miles on them, but so far no problems. I never heard of them before. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #4

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Is this the tire you are looking at:
Briwaytire

FWIW: If you travel more than a few miles from home, realize that there will be no warranty service available for a new to the market, off brand tire.

It would have to be very, very, inviting $$$ wise to get me to steer away from a known brand.
Yes, that's the one, and I'm skeptical myself. As far as warranty service on any tire made in China and purchased on line from a business in Wisconsin, I'm thinking any warranty is moot at best. I doubt I have much of a warranty even close to home anyway. The online distributor is sales@recstuff.com . I know Chinese tires have some failure issues but all tires sold in the US must meet DOT specifications. The only tire that I know of that is not an "off brand" is Goodyear. I've also heard Maxxis are good. Briway is new to the market, but that by itself does not make them bad. Heck, 5 years from now they might be considered the best or they might be out of business. The prices are very attractive. I'm hoping to get some feedback from people with first hand experience good or bad. Buying them does have some risk.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Well Yah.... But with them being new there won't be anyone with much experience, especially the age factor. It does sound like SCAMP put their toe in the water, but, as always, tires on a new RV will be covered by the tire mfg, not the RV builder.

And while tire have to meet DOT specifications most of the problems with Chinese tires seem to occur even years later when the testing is long gone and the factory managers are cutting costs.

Depending on where you live, there are some tire sources with fairly wide geographic coverage, WalMart, COSTCO etc...... if you travel a lot at least you can get warranty service if needed.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:07 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Maybe they'll become more popular or at least more widely known now that Scamp is using them? I'm not worried about warranty when I'm on a trip. If they fail, I just want to get a replacement and worry about the warranty when I get home. I did have to fill out the standard CIMS all brand tire registration. My understanding is that form lets the tire industry know how to get a hold of you in case of a recall.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Checking these out on line, it appears to me that the Chinese have copied a Goodyear Marathon trailer tire.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #8

Name: steven
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
marethon tires

Marathon's had their problems-
Goodyear Replaced Tires in 'Silent Recall,' Critics Allege - latimes

articles.latimes.com › Collections › Suits

Nov 7, 2000 - Some RV owners said it was only after they had experienced tread separation on their Marathon tires several times that they learned Goodyear .....The person i bought my trailer off of had to replace 2 of his Marathons that were on a 2007 28ft Bigfoot
sb359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:42 AM   #9

Name: steven
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
I put these on my wife's Boler
Briway, Radial Trailer Tire Mounted on White Spoke Steel Rim - Costco

www.costco.ca › Automotive & Tires › Trailers

A radial trailer tire mounted on a white spoke rim for multi-purpose trailers. Features: Radial tire; White Spoke steel rim. Specifications: Size: ST175/80R13. delivered(free shipping) $130 each, inc all fees and taxes
Save
Save
sb359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:45 PM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
Checking these out on line, it appears to me that the Chinese have copied a Goodyear Marathon trailer tire.
Copying a poor design is not a good plan. Marathons have the worst reputation of any tire I know of.

Nobody should be running "trailer" tires in my opinion. Get truck tires or even standard load car tires if your rig is light.

The 13" size could be a problem with finding truck tires, I don't know, but for those with 15" wheels you can go up to 16" and get a wide variety of excellent truck tires that are easy to find and will hold up for a long time. Much better solution.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Marathons have the worst reputation of any tire I know of.

Marathons were for years the go to tire for many RV owners and they performed well..... that was until something changed... lots of tire failures in recent years. To the point my tire dealer as well as many others do not carry or recommend them anymore.

Following various RV forums on the topic the tire that is currently most favoured by former Marathon owners is the Maxxis ST Radial. Which is what many of the local tire shops are now recommending as well.

Replaced the Marathons on my trailer with Maxxis ST's earlier this year and have only put about 1500 miles on them so far, so to early to say if they perform as well as their reputation.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:06 PM   #12

Washington
Gosh, it's been almost 2 years since I posted asking for information on Briway tires. I bought 3 shortly after I posted and so far, they have been fine. No long trips to give them a good test yet, but I hope to go on an extended trip mid Sepermber. When I made the purchase, Costco did not sell them.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:17 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Gosh, it's been almost 2 years since I posted asking for information on Briway tires. I bought 3 shortly after I posted and so far, they have been fine. No long trips to give them a good test yet, but I hope to go on an extended trip mid Sepermber. When I made the purchase, Costco did not sell them.
LOL just think of it this way... now you have some more things to ponder in 2 years when its time to replace what you bought
Old 07-29-2016, 01:23 PM   #14

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
So when did Goodyear Marathon tires start having problems? Our 2013 Casita has them, originals, and they look fine. Don't know how many miles the PO put on them, but the tread and sidewalls look fine. Spare was never used. I have asked about rotating them, but was told (here or on the Casita Forum) not to bother. I'm hoping to get another couple of years out of them, anyway.

What's the difference between light-truck and trailer tires? They're all radial nowadays, right? But the Marathons on our Casita (15", LR D) have maximum tire pressure of 60 PSI, much more than the Goodyear Wranglers I've run on my trucks.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
So when did Goodyear Marathon tires start having problems? Our 2013 Casita has them, originals, and they look fine. Don't know how many miles the PO put on them, but the tread and sidewalls look fine.
About 4-5 years ago (perhaps more) people starting reporting an alarming number of failures.

Your tires may look fine but from personal experience would not run a tire of more than 4 years of age, no matter how good it looked on the outside or what brand of tire was on the trailer.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
There is much nonsense posted on the interweb.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #17

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
There is much nonsense posted on the interweb.
Glenn, which claims in this thread, if any, are you suggesting are "nonsense"?

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:24 PM   #18

All the stuff about Goodyear Marathon and also how you should go with light truck tires, or passenger tires.
Marathons were the most popular tire so, of course, there were more blowouts. Mostly because people don't check and use the correct the tire pressure.
Escapes used Marathon tires for years with no concern. Goodyear raised the price considerably so Escape switched to Carlisle.
As for light truck tires, they are designed for use on light trucks.
ST ( special trailer ) tires are designed for use on trailers. If one thinks they know better than the tire manufacturer's R&D departments, I suggest using marshmallows.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:12 PM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Glenn,

The only possible advantage to ST tires is their supposed ability to sit in the sun or be stationary for longer than an LT tire.

It's definitely true that a much higher percentage of ST tires fail than LT tires. Marathons have been the worst and the stories are all over most trailer sites. You can chose not to believe it if you wish.

It's true that LT tires are designed for trucks and that's why they are so good for trailers. Heavy duty with good traction.

ST tires are only rated 65 MPH, which seems fine, but a lot of guys drive faster that that.

Side sway with the Marathons I had was terrible. I ditched them and went with bias ply tires and solved the problem.

LT tires have a higher DOT standard than trailer tires and must be able to carry their full rated load at speed. The idea that they sway more just isn't true. My Ram, for instance has about 2,500-3,000 lbs per tire on the front and it has no problems with excessive wear or instability on winding roads. I switched my toy hauler to LT tires and significantly increased it's stiffness over the stock Carlisle ST tires.

And get this: Oliver travel trailers come stock with LT tires. Hmmmm. Good call.

LT tires are more readily available and come in more tread designs too. You can get a siped AT design that will perform better braking and cornering in rain, a knobby that will work better in the desert than a ribbed ST. And you can get LT tires that were made in the US.

For many of us it's time to move on to the best we can get, but thanks for the recommendation to use Marshmallows. No thanks, I take my tires seriously.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:16 PM   #20

Just proves my point. You got your information from the interweb.
No technical studies, just anecdotes.
To counter, my Marathon's were just fine for seven years. Replaced them with Carlisle when I figured they were aged enough.

Tags
tires